Sunday, August 29, 2010

Healthiest Companionship on the Block Contest

I needed a reason to get the sister missionaries together again, so I planned a Sisters' Luncheon for Wednesday, August 18th. The focus for the day was keeping ourselves healthy and fit. We planned to do this by being proactive: adopting good eating habits and a healthy lifestyle.

I started off right by providing a nutritious, delicious lunch. We had water to drink, some 145-grain rolls that were rock hard, had bird seed sprinkled all over the top that were supposed to be good for you, and a salad that I made. The salad had lean chicken breast in it, with grapes, oranges, celery, almonds and pasta. It was all tossed in a light dressing made of.....Cool Whip Extra Creamy and Mayonnaise!

Then I threw down the gauntlet! We started the "Healthiest Companionship on the Block!" competition. It's a modified "Biggest Loser" contest. Only it really doesn't resemble the biggest loser at all. It's my kind of biggest loser contest, based on a point system. It is possible to earn 20 points every day. I usually earn my points for getting up at 6:30, half an hour of exercise, drinking 8 glasses of water, giggling 3 times during the day, (Hey! Laughing is good for you!) reading my Book of Mormon, (spiritual health) and thanking my companion for something. Many days I don't get my points for complimenting my companion or going out of my way to do something nice for my companion. (Sorry, Bruce.) I need to work on those. I almost always get my point for having carbs, fruit, dairy and protein for breakfast. For example, yesterday I had a huge slice of Marie Calendar's Razzleberry pie with ice cream and a big glass of 2% milk for breakfast. There you go! Carbs, fruit, dairy and protein all rolled up into one delicious, healthy breakfast! I almost always get my points for having a morning snack and an afternoon snack. Of course, while the sister missionaries were over, I gave them little baggies full of Cheerios and baby carrots for their morning and afternoon snacks. Then I opened my cupboard to fill my own baggie. The cereal in my cabinet was Lucky Charms. Hmmmm....


I never, never, never get the points for not eating chocolate, or skipping the carbs at the dinner table or getting to bed by 10:30. But I am working very hard to try and get the point for not saying anything all day that I wouldn't have said if the Savior were beside me. It's a pretty fun contest, and the sisters are really kicking my trash! I think Sister Miller and Sister Zazueta or Sister Morris and Sister Stoner are going to win. The winners get to go shopping on preparation day with Sister Winn, so I benefit no matter who wins! The luncheon was a fun time. It's always a charge to my batteries to be with these delightful and valiant young sisters!


Sister Bliss and Sister Arce

Sister Miller and Sister Zazueta
Sister Anderson and Sister Winn

Sister Bliss and Sister Miller

Sister Bates and Sister Stoner

Some random movie stars who happened by.

Some sisters from the Japan Mission who must be lost.

Sister Ahern and Sister Tagawa

Sister Reyes, Sister Williams, Sister Deyhle and Sister Morris.

This is what we do when we're together. It's how we get our three giggles a day in!

Look at all these healthy eaters!
Sister Schwarz, Sister Blackwelder, Sister Bates and Sister Ahern.

Let the contest begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment