Monday, August 9, 2010

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I can't believe I forgot to write about this!

On Sunday afternoon, July 25, I got a call from Jamie, who is one of the many people babysitting our house for us while we are on our mission. "Mom," she said, "We had kind of a storm today. There are a few problems here. The power is out. The generator didn't kick on, and when we tried to get it to start, sparks started coming out of it. The wind blew all the pool furniture into the pool. A tree went down in the front yard. It smashed the mailbox and it's blocking most of the road in front of the house. A couple of trees have gone down in the back yard. And it's raining inside the house in two different places. So, how was your Sunday?"

I just had to laugh! Poor Jamie and JD are never, never, NEVER going to want to buy a house! They've only been in charge of our home for six weeks, and already they are overwhelmed by taking care of it! Not only that, but the power was off for 21 hours, and at our house, if the power is off you don't have any water either, since we are on well water, and the pump won't run without electricity. Which is why we have a generator. Only you don't really know if your generator is broken unless the electricity goes out and the generator DOESN'T start working. I can't imagine many things more fun than having six children in a home with no electricity and no water!

Ah well, not to worry. Thankfully, Jason dove into the pool in the middle of the electrical storm to rescue the furniture. Jim Slaugh came over to see what he could do to help with the trees. Mark Denney came over to take a look at the generator and prevent JD and Kip from electrocuting themselves and leaving two widows with four small children to raise alone. And Loni invited them all over to dinner at her house!

Trees down in the backyard.


And this tree took out the mailbox on its way to blocking the street.

It does put my mind at ease to see the house still standing in the background.


1 comment:

  1. That is a lot to go through. I feel bad for them! I'm glad everyone was able to come together and get it cleaned up

    ReplyDelete